GIFTED & TALENTED
4 months ago
K-6 Trailblazer Program
Laramie County School District 1 believes gifted/talented students have distinct academic and affective needs. The Trailblazer Program is a district-wide, K-6, self-contained program designed to meet the academic needs of students identified as “exceptional” by virtue of outstanding academic abilities. The program uses both single and multi-grade configurations and is located at Pioneer Park Elementary School. Pioneer Park contains two multi-age classrooms for grades 1-4, as well as one classroom for each grade level, K-6.
The goal of the Trailblazer Program is to assist each student in maximizing learning and reaching his/her highest academic potential. The curricula focuses on the processes of higher order thinking skills, cooperative learning, creative problem solving, and inquiry-based discovery to meet and/or exceed district curricula expectations.
A Body of Evidence will be used when identifying student exceptionality to determine appropriate academic placement. Data are collected in four areas: achievement, performance, aptitude, and behavior. An explanation for each area is listed below, and the possible data from each area that may be used as sources demonstrating exceptional ability.
Students that are English language learners will be assessed with the Wechsler Nonverbal Scale of Ability (WNV). This assessment does not require a verbal response to any of the test items. WNV offers a method to identify exceptionality of students that are not fluent with the English language. Additional assessment information may be needed to gain supporting evidence of a potential ELL candidate. Nonverbal screeners that address problem solving and are performance based may be administered for evidence.
- Achievement----Primary Skill Assessments, District Assessments, STAR, WY-TOPP (Grades 3-6), CPAA (K)
- Aptitude---------WISC-V, WPPSI-V, WNV (for English Language Learners)
- Performance----Progress Reports, Classroom Observation, Student Work Samples
- Behavior---------Teacher Rating Scale, Teacher Indicator, Parent Rating Scale, Parent Indicator,Classroom Observations and/or Interviews
*Not all of the sources under each area may be used for selection into the district Trailblazer Program.*Interviews may be held with the students/parents to gain additional information to determine placement.
Application Process (Applications can be found at the bottom of this page)
- Nomination packets are available at each elementary school.
- To be considered for K-6 grade placements during the current academic year:
- Applications to be considered for 1st quarter placement need to be submitted by the first Monday of August.
- Applications to be considered for 2nd quarter placement need to be submitted by the last Friday of September.
- Applications to be considered for 3rd quarter placement need to be submitted by the third Friday of November.
- Completed nomination forms need to be returned to:
Pioneer Park Elementary
1407 Cosgriff Court
Cheyenne, WY 82001
- Once the Body-of-Evidence is collected documentation will be submitted to the Trailblazer Placement Committee. The placement committee will hold meetings for student placement on the second Tuesday of August, October, and January annually.
- Parents will be notified by letter and/or phone conversation regarding the placement decision before the start of the following quarter.
- Identified gifted students transferring in from an out-of-district gifted program will be considered for placement year round.
- During the summer months please send completed nomination forms to:
2810 House Avenue Rm. #128
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Application Forms and Resources
- Biographical Profile (PDF)
- Body of Evidence (PDF)
- Checklist (PDF)
- Information Page (PDF)
- Parent Indicator of Student Performance for Trailblazer Program (PDF)
- Parent Permission to Test (PDF)
- Parent Rating Scale (PDF)
- Teacher Indicator of Student Performance for Trailblazer Program (PDF)
- Teacher Rating Scale (PDF)