WEATHER CLOSURE GUIDELINES
All LCSD1 weather-related closures are posted on our homepage:
LCSD1 Inclement Weather Boundaries Map
Please CLICK HERE to download and/or print a map showing LCSD1 Area 1 (Rural) and Area 1 (Urban) inclement weather boundaries.
LCSD1 Inclement Weather Bus Route Guidelines
At more than 2,600 square miles, conditions throughout Laramie County can vary greatly. In the event of inclement weather, LCSD1 has developed a weather boundary system consisting of two areas – urban and rural. Buses may run in the urban boundary but not the rural boundary depending on weather conditions. When this happens, a weather boundary will be called under the following parameters:
- Buses will not transport students if it is deemed to be unsafe. This decision is based on the district’s experience of being able to safely maneuver large, multi-passenger, 2-wheel-drive buses over public streets and county roads to safely transport our students to and from their destinations. If a rural inclement weather boundary is called, buses will not run in any rural boundary, despite conditions in your neighborhood.
- At the present time, LCSD1 does not have a universal method of individually calling only those who ride the buses. If weather conditions in rural boundaries warrant a bus cancellation, ShoutPoint, the district’s rapid-notification system, is not used for rural boundary bus cancellations. Please tune in to your local radio or TV station. We will also post these cancellations on the district website: www.laramie1.org. The only time ShoutPoint will be used is in the event that we have a district-wide closure of schools.
- LCSD1 does not bus outside the urban boundary during severe weather conditions. Parents living in the rural boundary who decide to take their children to school during these conditions, will be responsible for picking up their children in the afternoon. If buses are canceled that morning, they will not run in the afternoon.
- The attached map indicates the boundaries for busing. Families residing within the gray section of the map are considered to be living in the urban boundary. Those residing in the green area are considered to live in the rural boundary.
- In the event an individual bus route needs to be canceled, the district’s ShoutPoint automated message system will notify the primary contact on file for the route affected. Notification will be via e-mail, phone call, and/or text.
- Contact information in ShoutPoint is provided directly by parents. In order to receive these messages, parents and guardians are encouraged to keep their phone numbers and other pertinent information updated.
Please CLICK HERE for a downloadable/printable PDF about weather notifications, weather closures and weather boundaries.